Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Review: The Gingerdead Man (2005)


4 out of 5 stars
I rented The Gingerdead Man last night. I think the Hollywood Video clerk smirked when I put my head down to find my membership card in my wallet, but I can't be sure.
I was actually a bit excited about the movie. It's been a long time since I've seen new Full Moon blood. So, first out of the gate is a serial killin' cookie played by the drunk and scaryfunny Gary Busey. Obviously, it's campy, and a little bit fun, and a little bit gory.
But, I'm a bit pissed that Band and co. would charge $19.99 for a 60-minute movie. Even the rental fee (it's considered a "new release") seemed a bit much. Maybe a dollar to rent and five to buy would be fair.
Best Quote: Amos: "Let's get the lights on. I wanna see this fucker when I blast him to crumbs."
Best Quote 2: Brick: "A mosh pit of tag-team damage and body slammage. And, in this corner: the Butcher Baker!"
The plot is no more convoluted than any other "serial-killer-comes-back-to-life-as-a-blank" flick. And there isn't much wasted momentum which is key to a flick like this, and obviously the result of Charles Band's ever efficient direction.
Gary Busey is paydirt! Hopefully, Gingerdead will be the beginning of a Full Moon renaissance for Mr. Crazy. One can only dream. His voice as the cookie, spewing out "Take that punk BITCH!!" invective is highlight-reel material. As is his opening scene, in full crazyBusey serial killin' glory.
The supporting cast is as good as needs be and a bit better. They seem to have a good old Texas Dazed and Confused sensibility. Especially noteworthy is "Amos", the funny, pure-hearted town delinquent who wears a "Pull My Finger" t-shirt.
I have only two problems (a bit nitpicky, I know):
1. the oven-baked mom didn't look all that oven-baked. Where's the gore?
2. The 30 or so shots that the cookie gets off with a six-shooter is kinda ridiculous.
Anyhow, overall a happy, if brief, return to the director's chair for Mr. Band has produced this bizarre little piece of film magic. I heartily endorse, and screw that sniveling gimp at Hollywood Video.
(found a good interview with Charles Band, which mentions all of his new projects and some back story on his career and the Full Moon label)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey there,

Great blog!!

I just wanted to let you know that this link you have to Gary Busey is actually a picture on Nick Nolte.

Ok, bye!

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home